Why Seal Concrete?
One of our primary goals at A-1 is to help you keep your concrete beautiful and long-lasting as possible. One of the best ways you can do this is to seal the concrete, thereby protecting it from the harsh rays of the sun, freezing and thawing water, mold growth, and the damaging properties of salts and oils. Concrete that has not been sealed properly will age much more quickly, and result in a need for replacement years before it should have been.
The main benefits of sealing can be broken down into the following five categories:
- Increases Durability - Any concrete exposed to the elements will experience degradation, including cracking, spalling, pitting, and discoloration. Sealing the concrete will make it much more durable and minimize the effects of weather on the concrete’s surface and sub-structure.
- Inhibits Mold Growth - Concrete is porous. This allows water to absorb into the surface and remain there for long periods of time. In shady areas, this can oftentimes lead to mold growth. Without properly cleaning and sealing the concrete, this mold can actually help to breakdown the surface of the concrete, greatly shortening its lifespan.
- Protects - Many influences work against the integrity of your concrete. From the harmful effects of the sun’s UV rays; to salt placed down to prevent ice build-up; to oil leaks or spills; and water penetration, there is a veritable army attacking your concrete every day. The proper sealant can protect against all of these attacks, keeping your concrete beautiful and strong.
- Enhances Beauty - All of these external influences can greatly reduce the beauty of your concrete. The sun’s rays can discolor it. Oil can create a patchwork of dark stains. Mold can darken large sections. Sealing the concrete can mitigate all these influences, not only making it last longer but keeping it beautiful at the same time.
- Increases Longevity - Most experts say a concrete driveway should last thirty years or more. But, the main consideration in the longevity of the concrete is how well it is maintained. Concrete sealing is the number one factor in helping your concrete last as long as possible.
FEATURED TEAM MEMBER
Josh has been with A-1 Nashville since 2009. He will often be the one at your front door when you've called A-1 for concrete leveling or foundation work. He knows just what it takes to lift and level your concrete slabs or strengthen and lift your foundation. He will always offer the best solution for your particular job.