Concrete Sealing Type & Method in South Bend
A-1 South Bend has evaluated several different types of concrete sealer and has settled on a product called Densicrete as our sealer of choice. It has many unique properties and will leave your concrete looking beautiful well into the future. Read more about Densicrete and the application process below.
Densicrete is a penetrating sealer that reacts with the silicas in the concrete, effectively forming new concrete bonds that fill tiny capillaries and cracks in the concrete. This process creates an effective water barrier by "densifying" the concrete thereby not allowing water to freely move through it. During the application and chemical reaction phase, oils and salts are expelled from the concrete as the capillaries restrict. Densicrete is considered a one and done solution as it forms a permanent barrier to moisture in the top layer of concrete. Reapplication is not necessary unless a significant portion of the concrete's surface is worn away.
- How it Works - As Densicrete is sprayed on the surface of the concrete, it is absorbed into the pores and capillaries of the top 1/2" or so of concrete. Then a chemical reaction occurs with the silicas in the concrete, which in effect creates new concrete to fill and densify the concrete. This pushes foreign material to the surface and creates a water-resistant seal against the elements and chemical de-icers.
- Primary Applications - Outdoor applications, including driveways, sidewalks, and patios.
- Type of Finish - Provides invisible protection without changing the surface appearance or leaving a sheen.
- Performance - The longest-lasting sealer of the products listed. Instead of creating an artificial barrier on top of the concrete, it causes the concrete itself to become the barrier.
The process A-1 Concrete Leveling South Bend uses for installing sealers is almost the same across the various types. This guide will walk you through the main elements of the installation. Be sure to read the directions on your sealant to learn of any cautions (such as necessary temperature or moisture levels of the concrete.)
- Preparation - Possibly the most important step. The concrete should be as clean as possible and devoid of any loose debris. Most professionals recommend high-powered pressure washing before sealing. Remove all dirt, grime, and molds or mosses from the concrete. Don't forget to clean any cracks and joints out as well. You want the sealer to wrap around the edges of your concrete slabs as much as you can. Most sealers require a dry surface before application (again check your specific sealer's directions.) Click Here to Learn More About Concrete Cleaning & Powerwashing »
- Application - Sealer can be applied in a few different ways. And, again, based on the sealer one may be recommended over another. Most penetrating sealers can be applied using a garden/weed sprayer. These are the type with a large canister, and a pump handle to build up pressure and a wand with a spray attachment at the end. Thicker sealers can be applied with a roller or brush. It's important to follow the directions on how much to apply. For penetrating sealers you want to achieve a wet look throughout your concrete slab, but want to avoid a filmy sheen. The goal with acrylic and polyurethane sealers is consistent and even coverage over your entire area.
- Let Dry and Enjoy - Again, various sealers have varying drying times. Many are dry to the touch within a few hours, but most recommend 12-24 hours before walking or driving on them. Pay special attention to the recommended re-application guidelines for the sealer you've chosen. We recommend that you make yourself a note in your calendar to remember when to reapply. Keeping your concrete sealed is one of the best things you can do to prolong the life of your concrete and to enjoy it for years to come.
- Saves you the effort of having to evaluate the best sealers and methods of application
- A-1 has professionally trained technicians who know just how much sealer to apply
- No need to rent equipment, saving time and money
- Locally Owned and Operated
- Supported by our National A-1 Franchise Network
- A-1 Concrete Leveling South Bend is a fully insured contractor
Featured Team Member
Ken knows just what it takes to level any concrete slab back to its original beauty and safety. When he quotes a job, you should feel assured that he will evaluate your particular needs and offer the absolute best option for repair. He doesn't believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. He has been with A-1 since 2016.
They did an excellent job!!!